John R. Wallis published the Washington County News on an experimental basis from June 18, 1898 to July 28, 1900. He then sold the paper to D.U. Cochrane who began publishing The Dixie Falcon.
The Washington County News began again on January 30, 1908. John R. Wallis was the editor and proprietor for the next two decades. The paper eventually ceased publication in 1988.