Dixie State University was established in 1911 as St. George Stake Academy with the original campus on the northwest corner of Main Street and 100 South in Saint George, Utah. The original building for the campus remains, and is currently the St. George Children’s Museum. In 1913, the first class of thirteen students graduated from St. George Stake Academy when the population of Saint George was about 2,000 people. The name for the institution changed two years after its creation to Dixie Academy in 1913 and kept this name until 1916. The name changed again to Dixie Normal College during 1916-1923. Then between 1923-1972 the name changed to Dixie Junior College. In 1963, the campus moved to its current location at 225 South 700 East in Saint George. At the time of the move, the campus was on the edge of town. From 1972-2000, the name changed to Dixie College and then became Dixie State College of Utah from 2000-2013. In 2013, the name changed to the current Dixie State University. In 2014, 1,630 students graduated with bachelors and associates degrees and the population of Saint George grew to over 72,000 people.