ArchivesSpace Public Interface

Winona Crosby Stanley Edit

Summary

Identifier
WASH 029

Dates

  • 1909 – 1928 (Creation)

Extents

  • 8 Files (Whole)

Notes

  • Abstract

    This collection consists of 103 photographs of the Crosby family, Woodward school students from St. Geroge, Utah, historic landscape views of St. Geroge City, the St. George Temple, and the St. George Tabernacle.

  • Scope and Contents

    This collection is divided into two series, the first documents local St. George, Utah history, including many photographs of the Woodward School, and Winona Crosby Stanley’s family. Photographs of Woodward School were removed from a scrapbook prior to being donated. A few of the historical family photographs are presented in original matted sleeves. Some are reproductions of historical photographs. The images of students and student activities of the Woodward School are from about 1900-1930.

    In the second series, the historical and reproduction photographs of St. George document events and landscapes in the community. Imagery include a brass band, an opera, the flu epidemic of 1914-1919, St. George’s temple, tabernacle, and Opera House.

  • Biographical / Historical

    Winona Crosby Stanley was born December 15, 1932 and lived in various cities in Utah. On June 26, 1953 she married Burton M. Stanley. Winona Stanley attended Dixie State College between 1950 - 1953. While attending Dixie, she was heavily involved with the rodeo club, the Omega Delta Chi club, band, and performed in several plays. Stanley was voted most popular girl in 1950 and Fine Arts Queen in 1953. Many of the photographs in this collection are her family’s photographs that cover several generations.

    Woodward school opened in 1901 and is named for George Woodward who was the school board chairperson during the construction of the building. Grades 1-10 were taught there from 1901-1911. After 1911, the 9th and 10th grades transferred to the Dixie Stake Academy and Woodward served grades 1-8. Until 1936 when the Woodward Building became Woodward Junior High School, serving grades 7-10. In 1977, another shift occurred with only grades 7-9 remaining at Woodward Junior High. Then in 1977-1986, the school switched to serve as the overflow for West Elementary School. Designated in 1980, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places. During 1986-2000, the school building served as a 6th grade center and the school district offices. Since 2000, the building is the Washington County District’s Media and Technology Center with a small museum.

    The St. George Opera House was built in 1864 to function as a wine cellar for the wine produced in St. George and the surrounding area. Renovated in the late 1870s, as performing arts stage with its first opera performed in 1886. It was sold in 1936, due to extensive debts, to the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company and the building became a processing plant for sugar beet seeds. The building was sold in 1988 to the St. George Neighborhood Redevelopment Agency when it was restored to once more be used as an opera house. One of the photographs has a handwritten caption dating it as 1914 and because of similarities in city development, clothing, and styles, it is assumed that all of the photographs are from the same era.

  • Arrangement

    This collection is arranged in two series. The first series consists of historical photographs of Stanley’s family, Woodward School, and of the local community and events. The second series consists of reproductions of historical photographs of St. George.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Reproduction and use of the materials in this collection are subject to copyright law. Dixie State University Library Special Collections and Archives holds the copyright to unpublished material in the collection that is not in the public domain. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be obtained from the Special Collections Librarian and Archivist and a correct citation provided. A user may be asked to submit a "Request for one-time use of photocopies or reproductions" form in order to obtain reproductions.

  • Conditions Governing Access

    The collection is open and freely available to researchers during Special Collection’s hours or by appointment.

Components