ArchivesSpace Public Interface

Dixie State Course Catalogs and Class Schedules Edit

Summary

Identifier
UA 019
Finding Aid Author
Tracey O'Kelly
Finding Aid Date
October, 2017
Description Rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Dates

  • 1912 – 2013 (Creation)

Extents

  • 6.125 Linear Feet (Whole)

Agent Links

Subjects

Notes

  • Abstract

    The DSU Catalogs are comprehensive guides to Dixie State academics between 1912 and 2017. These catalogs show the progression from a high school to a teaching school to a university over the years, the changes in the school’s name, and descriptions of the classes offered.

  • Scope and Contents

    This collection contains the printed course catalogs for Dixie State University from its beginning as St. George Stake Academy in 1912 to Dixie State College of Utah in 2012 and the digital course catalogs from 2007 to the most recent academic year. The first catalog in the collection is from the school year 1912-1913 and has an academic year calendar, the Church Board, Stake Academy Board, executive committee, and faculty. The first catalog provides general information for students, including, fees, expenses, student resources, student conduct rules, and a list of the students who are attending. The following catalogs include class schedules, program requirements, financial costs, the academic calendars, and lists of faculty. Some of the catalogs include the lists of the students, short histories, and Presidents’ welcome, such as the one found in the 1988-1989 catalog.

    The books are printed, ranging from approximately 10 to 400 pages, and are all soft bound. The majority are stapled together, but thicker catalogs are paperbound with a glue binding. A few of the later ones are spiral bound or comb bound. The last print version of the course catalog is from the academic year of 2012-2013, after which the catalogs were available only through Dixie’s website. This collection includes digital versions, mostly pdfs, of the catalogs from 2004 to the present school year. There are several missing academic years, including, 1911, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1995, and 1996.

  • Biographical / Historical

    Dixie State University was established in 1911 as St. George Stake Academy with the original campus on the northwest corner of Main Street and 100 South in Saint George, Utah. The original building for the campus remains, and is currently the St. George Children’s Museum. The name for the institution changed two years after its creation to Dixie Academy in 1913 and kept this name until 1916. The name changed again to Dixie Normal College during 1916-1923. 1923-1972 the name changed to Dixie Junior College. In 1963, the campus moved to its current location at 225 South 700 East in Saint George. At the time of the move, the campus was on the edge of town. Dixie College was the name from 1972-2000 and then became Dixie State College of Utah from 2000-2013. In 2013, the name changed to Dixie State University and currently retains that moniker. The population of St. George was 1,769 in 1910 and 2,271 in 1920. In 1990, 28,502 was the population in St. George. In 2010, the population was 72,897. The first graduating class of St. George Stake Academy was 1913 and it was 13 students. In 2014, 1,630 students graduated with bachelors and associates degrees.

  • Arrangement

    This collection is arranged chronologically by academic year.

  • Preferred Citation

    Title & date, UA 019 Dixie State Catalog and Class Schedule Collection, Dixie State University Special Collections & Archives.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Reproduction and use of the materials in this collection are subject to copyright law. Dixie State University Library Special Collections and Archives holds the copyright to unpublished material in the collection that is not in the public domain. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be obtained from the Special Collections Librarian and Archivist and a correct citation provided. A user may be asked to submit a "Request for one-time use of photocopies or reproductions" form in order to obtain reproductions.

  • Conditions Governing Access

    The collection is open and freely available to researchers during Special Collection’s hours or by appointment.

Components